Jan 9, 2012

Stories of traffic and food

I arrived at the New Delhi airport a few days ago and decided to take a taxi to my school campus, hoping the driver would know where I wanted to go (which he naturally didn’t). Now if I by some reason had failed to yet notice that I was back in Asia, I would have definitely noticed it during the drive. Now if you’ve never been in Asia, let me tell you a thing or two about the traffic, that I've learned during my travels. Traffic signs are mostly to be ignored as they are pretty much useless. It's also perfectly fine to drive on the wrong side of the road and you may naturally drive as fast as you can (which is usually not very fast). It is also more than appropriate to use the horn frequently. The horn in itself is a funny thing as it can signal many things, like: “I know I have a red light, but I’m going anyway, so watch out” or "watch out, I'm behind you" or a countless number of other things. Now Mom, don’t be scared, it’s a controlled chaos of cars, rickshaws, motorbikes, bikes, people and the occasional cow, it’s not as bad as it sounds. :)

So, after my 25ish hour trip and bumpy taxi ride to my school, I fall asleep in about two seconds. The next day I’m showed around campus and to both my and my "guide’s" surprise, we learn that school doesn’t start the 1st as I was told, but that it will begin the 20th… So I find myself on an empty campus and, truthfully, with a bit of sadness in my heart, feeling both lonely and home sick. But instead of getting depressed, I pretty much booked the next flight to Goa and now I’m chilling on the beach, sipping on mai tais. You could say that the gloominess I felt for a couple of days are now long gone, washed away by the Arabian Sea and the sun drenched beaches.

But instead of telling you exactly how explicitly beautiful this place is, how the sound of the waves washing up on shore is like music to my ears and how the sunrays hitting the surface of the sea is like diamonds dancing or any of that poetic bullshit, I’ll tell you a funny little incident that happened to me on the airport. So, I was hungry, as usual, and took a nice order of butter chicken and started eating. Suddenly, I realize that I’ve accidentally put a whole chili in my mouth and I’m eating it like it was a piece of lettuce. By the time I realize this, I’ve already chunked down half of it, so I thought “what the heck, what better time to eat a whole chili then on the airport in New Delhi?” and chunked down the rest of it. Now I know, theoretically, you aren’t supposed to drink water when eating spicy food, but what was I supposed to do, my freaking mouth was on fire! So I had spoonfuls of rise with water for about 20 minutes, after which I actually managed to finish my dish! What a blast, huh! Well, it doesn’t end there. The crazy bastard I am, I thought I’d cool my mouth, and all you people that don’t eat dairy product abroad, close your eyes, cuz I decided to live on the edge and have an ice cream! Uuuh, scary huh?! So I bought an ice cream and what do I do with it? I drop it on my pants of coarse. Because no trip to Goa is fulfilled unless you have caramel ice cream all over your pants! That day will always be remembered, not as the day I went to Goa, but as the day I accidentally ate a whole chili and got ice cream all over my pants.

So that’s my story. A few hours later I successfully got myself to Palolem beach and now I got about 10 days left of this paradise and then it’ll be a whole other story; hectic time schedules with loads of students and people to meet. But before that, let me continue sipping on my mai tai, the ice is already melting! Have a good one y’all! :)

Oh and Mom, as requested. Please enjoy the pics below from my lavish suite at school campus! ;)


My bathroom


If I had a shower, this is were it would be



Yeah, I promised to not tell you about Goa just yet, but here's a teaser!
How would you like to wake up to this every morning?






3 comments:

  1. Oooh, Goa is good! Ota mun puolesta yksi kylmä Kingfisher ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely, lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Usko pois Heidi, olen ottanut jo muutaman! ;) Jep Micke, lovely is just the first name! :D

    ReplyDelete