Mar 1, 2014

Olen Suomalainen?

There has been a video going around on the internet where a group of singers remake an old Finnish song called Olen Suomalainen (I am Finnish). It is a classic song known by pretty much everyone. No harm in that, right? Except the people in the video and the people singing the song are all Finnish citizens, but with roots all over the world. From Peru to India, Finnish citizens of differing colors, races and history are displayed. It is such a nice thought, much like the Coca Cola Super Bowl commercial America The Beautiful I commented on a few weeks back. In that post, my intention was not to bash out on Americans as, sadly, racisms is as evident in Finland as it is in the states. However, I now realise it is easier to point out the weakness of others than the weakness of oneself. It is not always easy to be proud of ones origin and descent.

You can have a look at the video below.


The sad part is, watching the video, as ever touching it was, I already knew what was waiting. Some people would love the concept for showing that Finland looks different today than 50 years ago. What was seen as Finnish half a century ago, may have changed. On the other hand, others would hate the video. When I read the comments about the Coca Cola commercial, I was filled with a rage and frustration so intense, I hardly got any sleep. This time, however, the story is quite different. I feel tired, exhausted even. I feel pity. I almost feel indifferent. Wow, that's when I realize something is wrong.

We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men. - Boondock Saints

Edmund Burke said "all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing". So back to basics. The ever so brief feeling of indifference is trashed, thrown in the corner like an old rag.

I can honestly say I'm Finnish, no question about it. I was born in Finland, as were my parents and their parents before them and their parents before them. Proud to be I might add. Finland has had great publicity during the last year with headlines such as If you want the American dream, go to Finland or What Finland can teach America about education. Naturally, there is a down side to the story and not everything is wonderful in Finland, but I'd say it's a pretty great place to live (if you don't consider the 6 months of winter). Simple as that, I'm Finnish and proud of it. One comment to the video above was the following

Kuinka vaikea on ymmärtää, että kansallisuus ja kansalaisuus ovat eri asia? - Slumnigga

Translating into: How hard is it to understand that nationality and citizenship are two different things? I think about this for a while and realise I agree. I am going to use the Finnish definition of these words (based on legislation), as the English definition of citizenship and nationality may differ a little from country to country. Citizenship (kansalaisuus) means a member of a state with all the rights and duties it entails. For example, with a Finnish citizenship you have the right to work, vote and live in Finland. On the other hand, nationality (kansallisuus) refers to the national identity or ethnicity. So if I was to move to Germany, I might get a German citizenship but I would still be very much Finnish. This is quite clear and so I agree with Slumnigga.

When all is purple, there is no black or white. Holi festival in India. (photo by Callum Lynch)

Citizenship and nationality are two different things, fact, but does it mean that one rules out the other? I am a Swedish speaking Finn, however, I am also Finnish. My native language of Swedish does not make me any less Finnish. Can it be that people that move to Finland may actually identify themselves also as Finnish, even if perhaps not the same way that Slumnigga would like? Will immigrants not adopt some traditions? Will they not learn the language? Will they not identify with the people living here? Cultural diversity, is it really such a tragedy? Is our culture not strong enough to be able to take it if a few ethnically different individuals say that, they too, are Finnish?

The lyrics of the song also calls for controversy, as a guy called Kai so kindly points out. On täällä elämä raskasta työta, translating into "the life here is hard work" which obviously is funny as we all know NO immigrants do ANY work. The only thing they do is collect income support from social services. They (meaning these god damned immigrants) live like social bums, collecting tax money earned by hard working Finnish citizens. Bastards. They think they can just come here and do nothing? Get everything for free? Sure, some people do. That is the down side of a well-functioning social safety net. However, "some people" are not immigrants. They are as much Finns as they are other nationalities. Not only Somalians take advantage of the system, but also the earnest and honorable Finns do this.

My Indian friend Rathan. Bastard lives in Finland collecting all income support known to man.
OR then he is a smart guy that studied at a Finnish university, currently working on India related projects,
bringing Finland some of that much needed tax income.

It is very dangerous to identify a person through ethnicity. To put people in boxes depending on their skin color, religious beliefs, sexual orientation or any other number of so called ethnic traits. Statements such as "I hate Russians" or "all Asians look alike" will not make you sound very smart. As Tommy Lee Jones put it

Ethnic stereotypes are boring and stressful and sometimes criminal. It's just not a good way to think. It's non-thinking. It's stupid and destructive. - Tommy Lee Jones

You can't hate Russians. There are 140 million of them, you cannot tell me that you hate them all, can you? I must say, I despise some of the things that are happening in Russia, but still, if I would actually say that I hate Russians, it would mean that my world would be 140 million poorer on people that could be my friends. That's a pretty hard cutdown. Not to mention all the people I would have to unfriend on Facebook, good lord. I can also not say that all Asians look alike. You know why? Because they don't. They look as alike as do whites. I can't say I hate muslims, for it is not religion that defines people, or people that define religion. The actions of some cannot be pinned to a religion, religion alone does not make decisions. People do.

I hate Russians. Especially this Russian guy called Maxim.
While I'm at it, I might also just hate the Norwegians. Like this girl called Jeanette.
That would be why my shirt says I <3 U ;)

They say Finns are honest and hardworking people, but I will let you in on a secret. It's not true. Not all Finns are hardworking, not all Finns are honest. Not all Finns stab their wife and drink vodka all day long. Not all Finns love the sauna. Not all Finns can stand winter. Not all Finns lack rhythm. Not all Finns own a Nokia and love to go fishing at their summer cottage. Sure, some people do, but not everyone. Ethnic stereotypes are boring and stressful and sometimes criminal. Do you really want to let stereotypes determine what you think of someone? Are you really ready to let go of all that control?

I guess what I'm trying to say are these two very simple things

#1 Don't be indifferent.
Being indifferent to evil is just as bad as being evil. We need to care about the people around us, also the people we do not know and have no obligations too, because it is all of our obligation to care and to not be indifferent.

Below a video of Johannes who is caught out in the cold without a jacket. Would you help him?


And how about the next one based on a true story. Eila is old and sick, wondering around town aimlessly. She is found dead. Frozen to death. Would you help Eila?


Indifference makes all the difference. Don't act. React.

#2 Prejudice is so 1997
Who would you be if you were only the sum of stereotypes? If you don't wish to be defined solely by ethnic stereotypes or by what music you listen to, think about that the next time you see a turban and think terrorist.

He look crazy to you? Well, he's crazy enough to figure out black holes. Stephen Hawking
I have noticed that even people who claim everything is predetermined and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road. - Stephen Hawking

And a bonus one, just because I can

#3 Love the haters
Love beats hate every time. Smiling will get you further than shouting. So smile, god dammit, just smile!

No comments:

Post a Comment