Apr 15, 2012

Agra

When you think of India, what is the first thing that comes to your mind? For many of you it will probably be a white marble wonder called the Taj Mahal. It was a "must see" on my list, especially as it is only a few hours away from Delhi. However, I had been dreading the day when I would have to go to Agra. The Taj is the number one tourist attraction in India, which means a lot of people that will try to rip you off. But finally the day came, and with bags packed we ran to make the train that would take us to the famous tomb.


No caption needed.

We arrived in Agra late at night and left the train, with our guards up, to find a shitty little room to spend the night in. Next day we reluctantly got out of bed and payed the 750 rupees it costs for foreigners to get in. And there it was. It's nice, but (I'm sorry India) pretty boring, so about an hour of walking around was enough (especially as my accompanying traveler had already been to the Taj Mahal). As we had the whole day to spend in Agra, we decided to go see Agra Fort. I would take Agra Fort over the Taj any day. It was big, it was pretty and there were a lot of people watching to be done. It was simply fun. And I must admit, we did have a great time in Agra, even though the constant hassle with rikshaw drivers was a bit overwhelming at times.


Happy in Agra

Agra, check. Recommended? If you want to see a big, white building and get harassed by touts, then yes. It was nice, but let me tell you, the next stop would be the most intense, interesting and sickening experience of my travels in India...


No comments:

Post a Comment